I started keeping a diary when I was about 15. For years and years, I wrote entries about three things: my insecurity about my body, my desire to write, and my boyfriend. I mean seriously, that was it. Here's a typical entry:
1/13/85 22:30 "Saw D. Need to work on my story. Ran 2 miles."
I have pages like that. No. Not just pages - books like that.
Another popular entry type was this:
3/24/89 23:46 "Too tired to write."
I didn't compose long Anais Nin entries. I didn't ponder my place in the universe. Instead, I wrote about wanting to write or run or see my boyfriend. In the middle of it all, I recognized that it was not terribly good literature, but I didn't change my approach.
When I got married and had children, it expanded my repertoire. Now I could write about writing, running, my husband, and the kids.
Apart from this post, I have promised myself that this web log will NOT be only about those things.
Time to stretch my wings.