Saturday, July 05, 2008

The time it takes to be green

So the girls and I decided to do what we could to avoid using the car today, and we biked instead. Sounds easy enough, but the first step was finding locks in the garage, and then biking to Longs and then KMart, to find and buy chains to use with the locks. The only chain I found was made in Japan (to the US co's specifications, as though that made up for the foreign manufacture). I got it anyway. Then we biked to the pool, locked the girls bikes up, and I biked to the gym - two workouts in one! - and then I biked to a coffee shop to have an iced coffee and negate the benefits of the biking while filling out bills and a letter for R to receive in camp next week.

When I went to pay for my drink, I found to my dismay that my little wallet was missing. I ended up racing back (on bike, of course) to KMart to try to track it down, assuming that it was probably long gone if I'd dropped it there. By some miracle (thank you, guardian angel!), someone had turned it in and it had all of its contents still in it.

After I biked to the pool and escorted the girls home, we gave up on being green and used the car for the couple of additional errands we had to run for the day.

It was a good exercise - both physically and in terms of adapting to a new lifestyle. But it's taught me that this kind of living requires really good planning. Also, it means allowing for additional time as well as becoming adept at keeping track of all the details as you go - like wallets, for example.

No comments: