I have just watched a recording of Amanda Gorman delivering her poem at Joseph R. Biden's Inauguration earlier today. If I wasn't already exceedingly happy about today's events, this would have been enough.
These are strange times. In the country, a huge change on the heels of so much tension. At work, disagreements over how and when to reopen to the public. At home, life-changing events all around me: the dog's cancer; N and A's new marriage, new apartment, the baby's coming arrival; S. deciding to move out, if/when she gets her license, D.'s attention because of the model; and the concrete, real, exciting steps we're taking toward a house in the country. All at once. Because, sometimes that how it happens.
But today, Biden signed executive orders to start the undoing of some of the horrible damage wrought by his predecessor. And I am so very, very grateful. That, and poetry, in the news everywhere you look. Thank you, Amanda Gorman.
No comments:
Post a Comment