Friday, June 04, 2004

June 4, 2004

Tuesday night I met a friend at a lounge downtown to hear another friend of hers read poetry. It turns out that I'd seen her friend at church a couple of times. I live in that kind of town. There were seven poets reading, all of them students of Terry Ehret. Terry is Sonoma County's Poet Laureate, and a founding member of Sixteen Rivers Press, which is a poetry collective for women poets in the Bay Area. When I grow up, I want to be a part of Sixteen Rivers.

The poets were good - some of them, including the woman we went to see - were very good. I went home and started work on two new poems and went to sleep far too late for someone who's been battling a head cold for a week. But it felt great to start something new.

Wednesday I squeezed in ballet class for one daughter, open house at the other daughter's school, rehearsal for a gymnastics show for the first daughter, and Japanese class - all within 2 and a half hours while my husband lay at home with a fever until he dragged his darling self out of bed to get the kids so I could learn how to buy sake in the native tongue.

I don't exactly remember yesterday, which may be a good thing.

I'm glad it's Friday.

No comments: