Monday, August 28, 2006

For Nothing

As my sister says, I've reached the big "four nothing," or 40.
And you know, what? That's okay.

I've had more than one forty-plus friend tell me about the liberation that can come with reaching a milestone birthday like this - where you find that in spite of your keenest aspirations and best intentions, you haven't, after all, conquered the world or found a cure for cancer or written the Great American Novel by the time you were forty. And so the pressure is off now.

Whew.
Thank goodness for that.

It's been a splendid day. Just enough people acknowledged my birthday to make me feel special (which I love) without feeling like the Center of Attention (which I abhor).



Here's a shot for posterity, taken in Las Vegas at the end of last month, while at a tech conference for work. Dinner out at Nobu sushi. Yum.




Had sushi again tonight, followed by the obligatory birthday chocolate. The girls are in bed, and I'm ready to settle down to watch an episode of Friends with D. - we've come to the sitcom only now, via DVDs, having never had TV while it ran. And it's just plain silly fun for us, a good way to close out the day.

Onward with the journey...

No comments: