Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Compassion

I'm looking at ways to have more self-compassion as my 50th birthday looms.

On the one hand, I'd like to spoil myself and celebrate. On the other hand, I find myself experiencing moments of profound disappointment in my life. I think I shall write down a list of what is working or has worked, what is not working, and how to change that. Elsewhere. Who needs to see that posted on the internet?!

Tied to self-compassion is my capacity to care about others. I am able to care for others, and to care about caring about others. But that's still one step removed from the real deal.

I appreciate what I just heard Dr. Rick Hanson say about compassion - that one can feel compassion for someone in a difficult situation, even if one is powerless to help with that situation.

But I also appreciate the idea that very small acts of kindness and compassion still contribute to easing the suffering in the world as a whole. Very Buddhist, I suppose. But only in terminology. Not in its concept.

No comments: