Stage one of my pre-birthday self-pampering spree has been
completed.
After working 6am-3pm and picking S. up from school – the last
day of the first week of the penultimate year of H.S. – I got a pedicure, and
then a manicure (which I very rarely
do) and then had my eyebrows shaped. I think it’s only the 3rd time
I’ve tried that last activity.
I said "thank you" in Vietnamese at the nail salon and "thank you" in Hindi at the brow bar. What does that indicate? It indicates that women whose first language is not English were working in jobs to pamper those who can afford such unnecessary indulgences. I have all sorts of mixed feelings about this - but apparently, not enough discomfort to stop me from going, and from taking advantage of the opportunities for language lessons.
I also had red wine after more than a week of abstinence,
and ate the evil pre-packaged cookie dough that Safeway now carries for people like me who prefer it raw. I also chain-watched Parks and Recreation with S. until I fell
asleep on the couch. Hmmm. Let the weekend begin!
No comments:
Post a Comment