Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Not Swearing In, Not Swearing Off

I was called to appear for possible Jury duty this morning, and after a couple of hours of waiting and watching others go through voir dire, I was among a group of about twenty people who were excused.



So of course I went to work for a couple of hours after that. I know people who would have tried to get out of jury duty, or tried to get on the jury, or would have at the very least taken advantage of the day to not return to work. But as I've said many times, this country asks so little of its citizens, it seems ridiculous to try to squirm out of jury duty. Besides, it makes for even better people-watching than airports. And as for not taking more time off - well, we have just too much work to do in the office for me not to have gone back in.

At least the day ended both productively and creatively; after picking S. up from school and running a quick grocery errand, I headed back to Novato for the second time in the day to a poetry-writing group. Good tea and delicious birthday crumble, excellent company and an hour straight of much-needed writing. Thus the "not swearing off" portion of this blog entry title. Tired as I may be, I did not swear off the truly important work of the day!


No comments: