Friday, March 20, 2020

Shelter-in-Place Day 3


The cats demonstrate social distancing.


Already, the days are starting to blur a little. I am glad I have some routine - to bed around 10 or 11, up by 7 or 8.  I take S. to work and I pick her up, and in between I do a few other things. Today, most of the day was spent weeding, which was very satisfying.

There's still plenty to do, but tomorrow, which I have to keep reminding myself is Saturday, I'll do a full hive inspect of both hives. The weather should be just warm enough. Today, it was just too cool to check, but in the afternoon, the larger of the two colonies seemed to swarm. I took video and pictures of it, but didn't see where they went if they did swarm.. I walked for about 45 minutes around the neighborhood but never found them. Maybe they were practicing? Maybe they have not yet been discovered or have been killed or were reported and no one in SCBA on the swarm crew got back to me to see if it might have been my hive. It's hard to care about them and have zero control - although I did put out my nuc and a swarm trap. I also hope the oak tree continues to attract anyone who decides to swarm.

I'm doing the Whole Life Challenge because I need to accountability to help learn to focus on self-care. And because it's a pop-up and free. (Thank you, WLC folks!)

Listening to Tara Brach's Radical Acceptance, too. It's helping keep me from falling deeply into my usual self-indulgence/self-criticism cycle.

NYC and Illinois are now also shelter-in-place. Health care officials are trying desperately to raise enough alarms for people to respond in a way that will mitigate the situation, but our leadership is not ideal in terms of inspiring positive responses.

While I am keeping tabs on the situation through various news sources, I'm also grateful for how the natural world carries on regardless. 

Here's a shot of the front of the swarming (?) hive. After things died down, I could see that many workers were fascinated by a few spots near the front where I think a queen had been, but I never saw her.



No comments: