Today, just as I was about to drive D. to work, the Shakespeare hive swarmed again. I was able to watch it swarm. I'd jinxed myself Saturday when I said that was the easiest swarm ever to put in a nuc.
Here's today:

The good news about this one? It landed in the back yard next to the smaller "Mountain" colony. The bad news, it wasn't just *on* the umbrella, or even just *under* the umbrella. It took nearly 3 hours of patient coaxing and careful disassembling to find that the queen was hiding in the very bottom of the pole, on the inside! Phew! This one goes to the next name on the "needs bees" list. I'd known it was going to swarm because when I'd gone into the hive Sunday, I'd heard piping so I closed it right back up. I'd added space but couldn't get into it further to find queen cells.



No comments:
Post a Comment