It was an unusual day, today - remarkably without form. I slept in extremely late. In fact, I cannot remember having slept that late - after noon! any time in the last several years. And because it's Good Friday. I fasted until sundown. But in spite of thinking this would be some kind of focus for me, I spent far less time meditating or praying or thinking good thoughts for the world than I thought I would. And the empty stomach may have contributed to a sense of spaciness I felt.
However, I did little things: walked the dog, watered plants, did laundry. I also figured out how to play old super 8 and camcorder tapes and VHS tapes so S. and I could spend a few hours with N. and A. watching old home movies, primarily of the kids as kids. It was not what I'd planned to do with the day, exactly, but it was worth it.
I also ventured to Safeway for the first time in weeks to get Easter candy and bacon - essentials, right? It was sobering to see how compulsively the cashier scoured her workstation between each customer and how she kept everyone in line, separated fully and behind the plastic barrier. I think she was especially neurotic about it all, but it could just be that I haven't been out since the face mask recommendations really went into effect. I wore the N95 I have from the fires and used wipes and washed my hands the second I got home. Still, I'm glad I won't need to do shopping again until a week from now (when I can afford another Costco trip, and when we'll be out of almost all our essentials).
The weather is changing and I expect to get more gardening done tomorrow - especially if I don't sleep half the day away!
No comments:
Post a Comment