Wednesday, July 14, 2004

July 14, 2004

Okay, credit where credit's due: last night, Julia challenged me to post daily. So I am. So there.

The big news is that, just when I was starting to believe it wasn't going to happen, I received the premier issue of the American Poetry Journal in the mail.

It's glossy, and has a price on the cover, and an ISSN, and my name is listed on the back and also inside, and a poem that I wrote is in it. In print. On paper. Paper that people (besides the poets in it) will have to pay money for.

See Rebecca.
See Rebecca shamelessly self-promote.

Now how do you really feel about people who refer to themselves in the third person? Don't you find it strange? Rebecca finds it strange.

I have a co-worker, for example, who regularly sends email - from his email address, which those of us who know how to read can recognize as his email address - that he will be in late, or out early, or is on a break.

Let's call him Sparky. Just because I'm in that kind of mood.

So a typical email from Sparky might go

To: everyone@theplaceiworkthatwillremainanonymous.com
From: Sparky@theplaceiworkthatwillremainanonymous.com
Subject: Sparky will be in at 8:00 this morning.


To which I think, "Okay, Sparky. Thanks for the head's up. Now learn how to use the first person singular pronoun. It can come in so handy."

Sassy when I write after 7am, ain't I?

No comments: