Friday, July 30, 2004

July 30, 2004

Sophie's having a birthday party Sunday, which means I expect to spend tomorrow cleaning up the back yard and otherwise trying to make things presentable - mostly for the sake of her few little friends who might be coming here who haven't been here before. I almost don't care what they think, but it is gratifying to tidy and bring order to things, especially when they're in a state that's so far gone that the change will be especially noticeable.

D's mother will probably come and his father certainly will. His sister might. The family dynamics are not fun, especially since his parents do not speak to one another at all, and his sister only exchanges the briefest of greetings with their mother - and that's only a development that's fairly recent.

But we'll all survive it. I think I will try for the second night in a row to go to bed before 10pm. I was trying to read earlier this evening and fell asleep doing that. Which is nothing new, but still, maybe I'll actually listen to my body for a change tonight and say I've done enough for today.

Yesterday morning my mother called, obviously upset, to tell me that one of my sister's two dogs had died. My sister is single, and her dogs have been so central a part of her life, and were so inseparable from one another, that this is a real blow. Her other dog isn't eating, but J. is keeping a close eye on her, taking her to work with her today, etc. It's hard.

I have no skill with words at all tonight; I'm only blogging out of habit.
God willing, tomorrow will be a better day...

No comments: