Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Day of the Dead

One of the classes at the girls' schools made alters for Dia de Los Muertos, and at yesterday's Halloween festivities, I saw them all displayed together.

I have mixed feelings about this holiday. It seems to embrace a darkness that I find disturbing, with all the skeleton and skull imagery and the idea that spirits are either not really gone or that they come back to visit. Even the bright colors seem too carnival for my puritan blood.

But on the other hand, this year, I'm thinking of my mom, and I had half a mind (I have half a mind in general, even on good days) to create an alter for her. I was sorry that the day had passed without me doing this, but then I found on an Iowa State web site that the 2nd day of the festivities is for adults, which the first day is for children:


The traditional observance calls for departed children to be remembered during the first day of the festivity (the Day of the Little Angels, "Dia de los Angelitos"), and for adults to be remembered on the second day.

So there's always tomorrow. Which seems to be my just-get-through-today
motto right now. That, and "Why limit yourself to taking on what you can actually accomplish, when being an overwhelmed martyr has such a long and respected tradition?"

Bleh.

So, for those of you (writer's group gals, this means you) who are "supporting" me (if you call threats, dares, and reverse psychology partnered with soul-deep, unflagging encouragement "supporting"), my Nanowrimo word count to date is 441.

And for those of you who are have asked about the costumes, I finished both of them. In time, even. Will post pictures. And have not lost more weight since the initial 5 lb. drop, but have not gained back any either. Still no progress in that cure-for-cancer thing, though.

There's always tomorrow. One hopes, anyway.





No comments: