I survived Red Tent day, which started at 3:10am with me blearily creating the rest of the letter, printing it on fancy paper, and putting it, and a poem I wrote in 1997, in a special envelope for R. to receive later in the day.
Work was work. Busy, as usual, but easy compared to the rest of the day.
After work I got the car serviced, and while that was happening, I bought supplies for a special gift for R. & then started to create it - sitting at the dealership service dept. trying to fit inspirational stickers on purple paper inside a frame which R. and I will replace with photos of her grandmothers and their mothers - a tribute to the women from whence she came, as it were.
Came home, got S. from school, spent 1.5 hours chopping vegetables for stir-fry for 15 (while D. valiantly helped put together the gift and generally do everything else that needed doing while I sliced and diced).
Raced to the home of another mom, where she and I and a third mom prepared the rest of the meal.
Got to the yurt location, went for a walk with R. (who was as excited as I have ever seen her, and who did NOT stop talking the whole time we power-walked around the block, in the dark).
Gave her the gift, which she liked (thank goodness!). Had dinner with her and the other moms & girls, and then had a time of sharing what the girls had discussed during the day.
Came home around 9:30 with the dishes from the dinner, washed most of them, called it a day.
New words added to the novel: NONE.
2nd day of goose-egg word count in a row.
Am I daunted or shamed?
Neither.
It's not that I have lower expectations of myself these days & don't even try to rise to the occasion.
It's that I love myself enough to let it go if I don't do it all.
Interesting how being pushed hard enough seems to do that to you.
No comments:
Post a Comment