That is to say that this is a legitimate, not retro-dated, post.
I slept, oh, about 14 hours last night. I guess (as they say) I needed it.
I think more than the actual sleep, though, I needed to check out. I mean, completely. I seem to have that reaction to certain stresses.
For example, I slept through three months of high school.
Seriously. I had mononucleosis, but that was just a medical excuse. I slept through those three months. I slept through the home-tutor coming with papers on sex ed., and because of my natural prudishness, it took me *years* to even consider thinking about whatever might have been covered in that class. I slept through family fights. I slept through us moving from one house to another in the same neighborhood. I mean, I woke up in a new room and thought, "Oh. I guess that's that, then."
I do remember a little black-and-white TV in my bedroom, and the horror of waking up in a fog, and seeing that The Dukes of Hazard was somehow on yet again, and being too exhausted to get up and change the channel or even call for someone else to do it.
I remember thinking I was better, and going back to school, only to have a relapse. I remember that it wasn't until I finally felt well that I realized how ill I'd been.
That's one of those things that makes me ponder about heaven, or enlightenment. We may think we're fine as we bumble and knock around with one another in the world, trying to do the right thing. But later, at some point later - then we'll be really fine. And realize how handicapped and tunnel-visioned we are now.
Just a thought.
November novel word count: 1134
Slowly regaining lost ground
If I go to bed RIGHT NOW, I'll get 5 hours and 15 minutes of sleep. Which is not bad at all, considering The Dukes of Hazard won't be on when I wake up.
No comments:
Post a Comment