Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Larry Levis Inspiration

I am reading The Selected Levis now. I've ready many great poets in the last year - twenty plus books a semester will do that to you. But there's something about Levis that's helping fire some cylinders in me.

It could also be the pressure of wanting to take my work to the next level, and the knowledge that I'd recently had a poem submitted to a contest with an edit suggested by a senior poet that all along I'd felt weakened the piece. I'd gone with the change because I trusted the poet's opinion more than my own, but it was almost a relief to see that the poem was not selected by the judge for any placement at all. Now I feel I can resend it the way I think it's more effective. I may be wrong, but I'll be wrong with my integrity intact.

Tomorrow D. and I celebrate our twenty-fifth wedding anniversary. Today he send me a text message that was so sweet, it made me tear up at work. It was positive and uplifting and had a bonus of three little pictures to cheer me through the day: bees, one of the chickens, and the cat. Here are the 2nd and 3rd of those pictures. I love my husband.



Oh, and #nofilter, darling daughter number 1

No comments: