Tuesday, April 12, 2016

One line, then another

It's one way to write.

As Marvin Bell might suggest, it's not the only way. But it's an important step, and I'm writing this post having in mind the generous email I received from Mr. Bell today regarding my progress in the MFA program. Well, actually that's not true. I don't think Marvin or I really care so much about a few letters thrown after someone's name. I really feel like me that he cares about the writing.

I am working on caring less about tidiness or content or myself or my head.
Here's to wilder, more surprising, looser, longer, exciting poems.

I donated blood tonight at the Elk's Lodge, so I'm in a good state of mind for poetry. The room where the blood bank sets up shop has my absolute favorite combination of room decor: a disco ball hanging from the ceiling and an elk head mounted on the wall. The perfect ambiance for having someone drain your life forces. (Actually, I think it could be a mule deer....next time I donate blood I'll look more carefully.)


No comments: