It's Monday night. Every Monday night, D. goes to his friend's house & games until around 2am. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it's his chance to get out and blow off steam and he's a happier person for it, and it's certainly better than having him go watch a football game and drink great quantities of beer like some men do. Also it means that I can (and do) get a night of my choice out whenever I might need one.
On the other hand, it means that he's trashed every Tuesday and (I think) gets sick more often because he gets so little sleep once a week. I also feel that it makes him an enabler to his best friend's pathological reality-evasion. And I'm bitter that his friend never comes here. And I'm often suspicious about that, too. Why don't they game here? In our garage? Even once in a while? Blech. Blech. Blech. Excuse the ugly emotions boiling beneath the surface, please.
More of a problem than the others, his Monday night gaming session means that I single parent every Monday night & if anything comes up I might want or need to do, I pay a babysitter so I can go out. Tonight, for example, I went to an ADHD Overview at Kaiser so I could learn more about R.'s attention challenges and what they might be and what we can do about them. D. also cares about what might be going on with R., but it's Monday, so tonight I represented both of us.
It was a very interesting overview, taught by an obviously highly experienced, compassionate, bright doctor. It's pretty clear that R fits most of the categories and behavior patterns associated with attention issues. But there are other things going on, too, and D. and I are so intent on addressing everything WITHOUT medication, well..I know there's lots more to learn about how we'll do that.
On a completely different note, I think I'm going to get a new car. Soon. I just can't wait to own a hybrid any longer, and I've found I do not need the mini-SUV like I thought I did. I had started to make this decision anyway, and then I got a call out of the blue from my sister-in-law saying she had a friend who is looking to buy a slightly-used mini-SUV.
I think only an idiot ignores synchronicity.
No comments:
Post a Comment