Amazing. Somehow, I'm posting again. That three weeks to form a habit concept seems right on. Today makes three weeks since Julia challenged me to blog daily, and even though five minutes ago, I was sure I couldn't do it, I'm now writing. Again.
Kate has also presented something of a challenge by suggesting I submit something to Strange Horizons or Ideomancer.
Let's see what I have to offer in the way of old stuff [putting on my marketing hat, now]:
Hearth - the story of a childless couple who inherit an off-the-grid house that has a life of its own. Speculative fiction, maybe.
Rista's story - about a young women sentenced to exile after avenging a relative's death. She comes from a bi-racial, bi-cultural planet and is dropped, along with other criminals, on an "unpopulated" planet in the middle of nowhere. I don't even have a title for this one yet and I wrote it years and years ago. Science fiction/alien story - light on the science. Too long to publish as a short story, though. More like a novela unless I can tighten it even more.
What's Carried on the Wind (needs new title) - the story of a woman who can literally smell death, but only at specific times in her life, and how she learns to cope with that particular "talent." Speculative fiction.
Something from Quest (aka the Rowan story, aka Senior Thesis)? Apart from the fact that the main character must (thank you Anne McCaffery) be renamed - I think she is Mara now - is there anything I can pull from this? In this world, there are empaths and technocrats, badger-like emotional bloodhounds, wise women and refugees in hiding in the heart of the city. (Do you remember it, Clare?) This would be sort of like fantasy, but not in any high fantasy tradition. I'll leave the real stuff for Julia.
Maggie's story - near-future tale about a girl who works as a sorter at a thrift store and who finds an experimental gadget that acts to motivate its wearer to do whatever they might not otherwise be motivated to do. For better or worse. Seems like a good idea that is too "nice" and watered down, in retrospect. Could be so much darker & edgier. Could be really disturbing fiction if I let it.
Newer stuff:
Rock Garden - a woman going through a divorce takes her son to a mobile home park in the California desert. The son becomes convinced that the entire park is populated by aliens and the mother must try to strengthen his grasp of reality even while her own is faltering.
Trained as I was - could-be creepy Halloween story about a father who, on the way home from trick-or-treating, leaves his two young daughters standing on the side of the road so he can go investigate a mysterious circle of chanting people in a nearby field. (Thanks Dad.) I've been reworking this and other "family" stories.
Not yet written:
Whale cheese for Julia.
The story of the couple who bring their baby home from the hospital only to find that he has no belly button.
On that note, I think I'm going to go to sleep now.
No comments:
Post a Comment