Sunday, December 08, 2013

Anchors Away

The company Christmas party was last night: a four-hour tour on the San Francisco bay in a Hornblowers Yacht with two or three floors of parties happening (our group occupied only one). It was probably in the low thirties when we walked from our hotel (the Hyatt at the Embarcadero) to our boat, glammed up but freezing. The boat had a live band that did eighties covers, which meant that even though it was as loud as any band and difficult to hear apart from the bass and high notes, I knew every song. We didn't dance - we never do - but we did enjoy good food and good conversation at a table with other wall flowers. After 15 years at the company, I have known so many of the other senior employees for so long, there's a comfortable familiarity there, and we really did have a very enjoyable evening. The Bay Lights installation was amazing (and one can re-watch the pattern at their web site). The walk back was even colder but a hot bath cured my oncoming frost-bite.

We'd kenneled the dog and S. had been at a friends, so we'd left the birds and rabbit in a house with no heat. While S. and I saw the Nutcracker matinee (a different cast for Clara, Snow and Rose), D. brought the house up from the 46 degrees he found it in. It's supposed to get to the 20s tonight, so we finally pulled out a space heater as well.

I'd come home cold, tired and hungry - a dangerous combination that led to pizza (which I hadn't had for months) a glass of chardonnay, and a "nap" on the red couch that lasted all night. The household chores and cleanup I'd wanted to do were left undone, and I just pray for a productive evening tomorrow, after a full day of work !



No comments: