An online journal and home for other scribblings. No promises of either profundity or profanity, no guarantee of grammatical correctness. Just me, as I am, at the moment.
Sunday, December 29, 2013
So This is What They Mean
Saw S. off today at the airport for a flight to visit our friends at their new farm up north. Here's why it may have been challenging for me:
a) she herself is nervous flying
b) it's her first solo flight without friends or family
c) she's my youngest
d) I'm already experiencing holiday stress
e) all of the above
But for the first time I had a taste of the difficulty I've heard people describe for years when they talk about letting go and letting a child head out into the world alone. For whatever reason, I didn't experience this anxiety in the past when my elder daughter went off on adventures or to college, or when my younger was at camp, for example. But it hit me this time, and I stood at the window watching the Southwest plane roll away from the gate fervently wishing the pilot, co-pilot and crew a safe and simple flight.
I had calmed considerably by the time I received the "Eagle has Landed" text our friend sent when she arrived, but still it was a relief to know she's safe and sound.
Now to wrap up the old year and start the new as well as possible!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment