Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Epiphany Plus One

Many years ago, I heard Isabel Allende speak. One of the things she shared with her audience is that she always starts her novels in January. I'd remembered that she started on January 6th - Epiphany, and I carried that date with me as a significant date for serious writers until just now, when fact-checking brought it to my attention that she starts on January 8th, not the 6th, and not because of Epiphany but for her own personal superstitious reasons. 

So today marks a point between my false memory and my new knowledge. Which sounds symbolic, right? What is each day if not a marker between insufficient data and new input? I wrote the below this morning, or some slight variation of it. It's a little about the dangers of not-quite-forgetting something.

You missed Epiphany this year.
This seems telling.
You knew it was coming, that day
of marking something – was it the wise men
reaching their destination, finding it,
as Eliot suggested, “satisfactory”?
Or was it God incarnate, holy infant flesh and blood,
as impossible to conceive
– you can’t help the pun –
as dark matter at CERN?
There are things you haven’t taken the time to ponder,
and you are left feeling stupid
as a foreigner who cannot speak the language.
Stranger in a strange land in a new year,
the miracle approaching,
the miracle passed,
and you with a crick in your neck
from looking back too suddenly.


No comments: