Miriam Webster says this:
to consider again especially with the possibility of change or reversalAccording to dictionary.com, the root value comes from the Latin "to be worth, to be strong."
At the risk of sounding drearily philosophical, I believe in the benefits - in spite of the difficulty therein - in periodically re-calculating the worth and strength of one's life, one's actions, one's character. I hope I'm not deluding myself in this, but I believe that each time I've done this kind of step back and audit I've come away with at least one blind spot partially brought to light. It's holding on to this elusive clearer vision and steering clear of old patterns of blinders that is especially challenging. The darker parts of our lives and souls are often so hidden - encrypted (from the Greek κρυπτικός) - that it's as though we are mysteries to ourselves, as though there's a part of ourselves that is so foreign and unknown it might as well speak another language.
I write this with the perspective of three days between me and the real Saturday the 18th. But it's a good marker for Saturday anyway, and the four hour conversation D. and I had about our individual lives and our life together. It's a good way to place a marker.
No comments:
Post a Comment