How does our country's poor response to our own disaster look to the rest of the world? I've actually been avoiding reading the international press coverage of Katrina. I'd hate to think of how amused by this Osama bin Laden must be. My only hope is that the current administration is learning something from all this.
Actually, right now I'm so angry at the President, I can't even write about it. I suspect a lot of that is me wanting to blame someone and him being an easy target for my frustration. I don't anger easily. And usually, I don't stay angry more than a few minutes, at the very most. But what I'm feeling now is a low-level smoldering ire that isn't doing anyone - me or Katrina's victims or the rest of the US - any good.
This weekend, D and I are going to go over our own home's emergency supplies to make sure they're adequate. We're going to do fire and earthquake drills with the girls. We're going to donate to the relief fund.
And I'll continue to pray for the victims of the hurricane: those affected directly, and the rest of us. Because none of us are free of the consequences.
No comments:
Post a Comment