After school, both girls had brief play - dates which gave me just enough time to grocery shop alone (alone!) before picking them up again and heading north with two of their friends to the roller skating rink for a school fund-raising skate night. On the way up, R said she had a headache she thought had been brought on by the smell of another girl's mint tea, but as soon as we walked in the door of the bright, loud, chaotic skating rink, she fell apart into little pieces and it was clear that she was sick.
I passed the baton to a couple other moms to watch S and the other girls I'd brought, and R and I hung out in the car with the heater going (R shivering and crying and telling me about her horrible day) until D came and got her. Then I went back in and skated around slowly with S many times - although she's getting quicker with each trip to the rink, it's still harder to skate slowly with her than it would be to skate quickly without her.
Now I'm just hoping no one else gets sick.
No comments:
Post a Comment