Thursday, January 18, 2007

Such drama!

First there was a last minute plan for a classroom sleepover for the 6th grade, a reward earned for good behavior last year. Then (and for extremely good reasons) there was an even-more last minute cancellation.

I would guess that there were about a half-dozen kids who shed tears about this, but mine was one of the kids that pretty much cried herself to sleep about it.

Sometimes life's disappointments are so hard. Another mom said, "It may be that the lesson the kids have to learn is that the world doesn't revolve around their excitement." In other words, just because they collectively wanted the sleepover to happen so badly, and almost to a one had gotten their parents to sign off on it doesn't mean it was a good idea.

You tell me: a dozen especially high-maintenance, wild 11 and 12 year olds, one capable female teacher but no other chaperones, overnight in a classroom (and some reportedly planning to sleep outside) alone on an unguarded campus sharing a fence with a homeless shelter in a neighborhood in town known to have gangs. Hmm. Potentially a problem, here? Too many alarms started going off for too many of the more intuitive (or self-described "clairvoyant") parents. And even as pollyana as I typically am, I'd say there are just enough risks added together to make postponement in favor of a better plan a good idea.

But not all of these concerns can - right now - be shared with the kids - or even to some of the parents - because of the exponential drama it would create. So the message went out that it was too-last minute for too many parents and the logistics were such that we had to nix it. (But such wailing & gnashing of teeth anyway!)

I would like just ONE week without a flurry of emotional emails among class parents. I'm glad our kids are at this school. It has tons going for it and it's been great for the girls. I love this teacher and consider her a friend (although I agree there was poor judgement in this case), I am very fond of almost all of the other parents.

I just wish everyone would tone it down a little. Damn mass hysteria.

No comments: