The sky was an apocalyptic, flat, ecru color today. The air quality was poor, but I think it has been worse. Some evacuations were lifted, others remained in place, and I heard from friends who were still in a bad place and who had relatives whose homes were threatened or friends whose homes have been lost.
I still want to ready our things, just in case. D. is not concerned because the farmers in fields around town have plowed their fields, turning over the earth, so that there would be nothing to feed a fire. I see his point, and while I'm grateful we're here in this safe place, it also makes me question my longing to live in the country to the northwest, which at the moment is closer to trouble.
There were over 300 fires in the state reported yesterday, two dozen of which are larger and significant.
But the news on another front is better; Biden/Harris seem to be getting a good level of support so far, and there is hope for a change in November, if voting by mail succeeds and if the election isn't postponed or the results questioned. Given the passion the president has for being in office, I can't imagine he'll leave easily. I wanted to write, in fact wrote and deleted, a less charitable sentence. But I have censored myself lest any of the non-existent readers of this blog take offense.
No comments:
Post a Comment