Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Shetler-in-Place, Day 162

This morning, the dog and I jogged more than walked on our daily constitutional. He does well for a 11+ year old Shepherd mix. He's especially pleased with himself any morning that he can make any dogs bark at him from behind their fences along the way. (Which is most mornings.) Troublemaker. 

The fires continue to be contained, and the weather is cooler, at least at night. Here are the sobering stats from the Press Democrat: 

54,923 / 19%
Acres / Contained
Walbridge Fire
 
303,155 / 33%
Acres / Contained
Hennessey Fire
 
1,080
Structures destroyed
 
2,207
Firefighters

At least as concerning, for anyone in the Gulf States, is Hurricane Laura, now considered a category 5 storm, headed strait for the coast. I read one article calling it "unsurvivable." So I am thinking of the people whose homes and cities are in its path, hoping they all have the ability to get to safe ground. Now that I look at an image, it's slightly terrifying:

This satellite image released by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) shows Hurricane Laura churning in the Gulf of Mexico, Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2020.  Forecasters say Laura is rapidly intensifying and will become a “catastrophic” Category 4 hurricane before landfall.  (NOAA via AP)

Only five more books to read for the Sealey (book-a-day) challenge. I hope that after August, I will continue to read at least a poetry book a week. It keeps me disciplined, broadens my mind, and I think it betters my own work.  

No comments: