Went to the Sonoma County Beekeeper Association's South Cluster's Bee Cafe today. (How's that for a mouthful?) Met with other "beekers" and spoke about swarms and splits, bee-buddies and mentors.
I got some good advice about what to do with my now-empty Margo hive, and how to monitor my booming Little Oak hive. I may do a dive into it tomorrow, weather and time permitting. There are new and not-yet beekeepers who would appreciate the experience. I may text them if I plan to do a dive. If I can get my yard ready for company in time, too. Ugh.
This weekend was a 30th anniversary college reunion at Dominican. Every year I think I should go. This year, I felt more certain I would, but even that would was 95% should. I even scheduled a dental appointment just a few blocks away so that it would compel me to be in the neighborhood. I thought I would drop in for an hour or so post-bee-cafe for the the ($20 at the door) beer garden and class photo. I thought of the two or three people it might be nice to see. I couldn't remember many others beyond the few writing majors I hung out with the most. But the closer I got to it, the more I thought there was no real argument strong enough to force myself to an expensive awkward situation that might lead to future "we should have coffee sometimes" dates with people I didn't really have that much in common with - then or now. I suppose this is a typical introvert's (and stingy person's) excuse.
But once I gave myself permission not to go, encouraged by my family, who know me well, I was hugely relieved. I did stop by after the dental appointment, with half my face feeling puffy and useless. I walked around the beautiful campus, remembering odd tidbits of my experiences there, thinking that if I ran into anyone, it would be synchronistic and significant. But the party was clearly over. There were tents containing folded tables and stacks of folded chairs in the lawn in front of Meadowlands. And virtually no one on campus. I skulked around the library and Guzman hall, and poked my head into a couple other buildings, feeling slightly melancholy but at peace in my solitude. And then I headed home.
D. and I went for a walk in the evening, and I did yard work after. I have so much to do before the back yard is what I think it could be. Much weeding and planting, and time for the planted things to become established. I am grateful that I enjoy the process as much as I do.
No comments:
Post a Comment