Monday, April 23, 2018

Bee Prepared

A horrible pun for the title of this (retro)post, no doubt because I am a bit sleep deprived.

It was a surreal day today. And not only because it's the 12 year anniversary of Mom's death. After taking S. to school and going to the gym as usual, I made a call to our local public radio station's car donation phone line to start the coordination of donating "Big Blue," the diesel truck that has sat in front of the house, unused, for over a year - having been used only once or twice the year before. Then the rush to work, only to see that I'd missed a text from Christine, beekeeper extraordinaire, to say that she had my hive bottom ready to return, and it had a little something extra on it.

She'd made a split from one of her hives, and it was ready to go to its new home. Fortunately, I had everything I needed in my car already (hence the post title) except a strap to secure the box, bottom & top for travel. So I wrangled an extra hour for my lunch, rushed to OSH to buy tie-downs to supplement the painters tape she'd closed it with, rushed to her house(open the gate, drive up the hill, strap down the hive, load in car, open gate), drove like a grandmother home, and put it in its new place, opening it up right away so the poor things could have air. Then rushed back to work and finished the evening, helping patrons with a calm and professional demeanor, after having scrambled like a madwoman for the sake of the bees.

I got home around 9:45pm.

Then the search for the truck title began...

No comments: