Currently, it sounds like a herd of bighorn sheep with claw hammers are wreaking havoc above me. The roofers arrived at about 6:50am,
and have been destroying the cheap roof (circa 1991) ever since. They’ve
already found dry rot – we’re not surprised – and have explained that the way
this roof was made, with skip under plywood (if I’m understanding this - I may
need to correct it later in an erratum…) this house was more or less designed
to rot from condensation in the summer. But so far, it hasn’t. They’ll put in
ridge-line venting, but it won’t be able to vent – but this is something D. and
the foreman, Nate, have discussed on my phone, while I orchestrated N. driving
S. to school last minute.
My biggest worry is that they not drop something on
the beehive, and that the chickens stay as they have, in the other corner of
the yard and well away from the open gate, until I leave for the day and pen
them in. They will be loud and unhappy all day, so I am delaying that penning
for a bit. I do wish I could stay home all day but I’m on the Children’s Desk
at noon.
The hammering, huge thumps, buzz of blowers, and whine of saws continues, along with shouts in Spanish.
I used my Spanish yesterday at the garage sale and this morning, too, although
most of the roofing team speaks English better than I do Spanish, I suspect. This
is most nerve-wracking for D., who has the territorial instincts of a Doberman,
and N.’s cat, Sif, who is miserable. Moira, on the other hand, is keeping her
post by the back sliding glass door, where she daily watches for – and sometimes
stares down – the little field mouse that hides in the bale of straw we use for
the chicken coop. Tango has resigned himself to misery in N.’s room. Between
Saturday’s hauling of everything down for the attic and sorting for the garage
sale, the hustle and bustle of the sale itself, and now this (bighorn sheep with power tools all over the roof), I think it would take puppy Prozac to cheer him
up. On top of all that, he’d been taken to the pet store for a bath Saturday.
Tough weekend for Mr. T. But he does smell better.
I am writing because it’s
either this, or nervously houseclean, or pace anxiously in the back yard near
the bees. I’ll do the other things next. Writing first. Not real concentration,
because I’m nervous too, but at least reportage of some kind.
Here's what's happening as of 20 minutes ago:
And here's what it looked like - to me, anyway - at around 7:30. I told D. significant, "They're digging in the wrong place!" which did make him smile, at least. Poor stressed-out man.


No comments:
Post a Comment