Friday, April 22, 2005

It's all OK around here

My friend Laura gave me a copy of the music from Oklahoma yesterday, and we've all been listening to it ever since. In the car, in the livingroom, in R's room. D says he's made a copy for in his truck & at work. I mean, we're such a sappy happy family at the moment, wandering around humming "The Surrey with the Fringe On Top" and "People Will Say We're In Love."

I'm a sucker for lyrics that are clever. Cole Porter does the same thing, and Irving Berlin. Not that I know many of their songs, but those I know I like.

I do know the songs from musicals I was in: The Wizard of Oz in 7th grade, The Sound of Music in 8th grade, Westside Story in college. And yesterday, I Googled the boy I'd acted opposite as a teenager. He was Gregor Von Trapp to my Maria, and I was Mrs. Crachit to his Bob Cratchit in the Christmas Carol. At one point, we figured we'd had about 20 on-stage children together. Oh, the romance. I must say he has grown up nicely since he could sing higher notes than I could, and his career has sure taken off better than mine did. In spite of battling MS for years, he's done off-Broadway and tons of voice-overs and TV (such as CSI: NY). Go, Grant!

Well, I must tuck the little "I Can't Say No" gals into bed, now. As S pointed out about the song, "She says she can't say 'no' but she says 'no' when she says that."

Ah. Can't put anything past my kids, I tell you.

No comments: