Happy Birthday to my half-sister Melinda, and to our friend Cheryl! I don't think either read this page, but it's the thought that counts, right?
In other news...
In our livingroom are about 10 boxes and half a dozen bags all packed up and ready to go to the girls' school Rummage Sale. I'd done much of the boxing earlier in the year, but tonight I also went through cupboards and did more purging.
I also have three bags full of items that wouldn't necessarily sell at the garage sale but are still in good enough condition to donate to charity. And then there's the stuff that I've just plain thrown out. It's very nice to think that after I drop those things off tomorrow, I won't have to see them again. Except while working at the rummage sale, when I can pretend they were never mine, anyway, all the while diverting the girls' attention from anything they might recognize and suddenly feel compelled to rescue from my heartless abandonment.
You know how it goes. "But Mom! That's my favorite little-stuffed M&M-in-a-baseball-hat guy! I love that one! How could you get rid of it?!"
I tell you. I'm heartless.
But really, we SO do not need all this stuff. Good riddance to it, I say!
I do have a fear that all these internal & external changes I'm going through will lead to me jettisoning more big things - like my job, for example. There are plenty of reasons to stay where I work. But there are also, I'm increasingly aware, reasons to leave.
I've been feeling dizzy lately, just that slight loss of equilibrium one might get after a glass or two of wine, or the sense of constantly listing a little that comes from having turned around in circles several times like kids do before they lie on the floor and go, "Woooow." And of course I think it could be anemia, or that I'm pregnant (extremely unlikely, but technically not impossible), or that I have a brain tumor. Or it could be, I think, just a physical manifestation of an internal state of being off-balance. I'm listing. I'm drifting. And I don't know what port I'm leaving or what port I'm making for. I'm trying to enjoy the journey, but I'm also a little worried that I've forgotten to look up and take mental note of the position of the stars.
Today makes a year since I started this Blog. Who'd have thought it would be so regular a part of my life? I'm glad. Even though sometimes it feels like nothing more than a combination journal/email to myself, some confidence and writerly habits have come from it.
My first post said, "Thus it starts. No promises. Just a beginning."
And now?
Thus it continues.
No promises.
Just a process.
No comments:
Post a Comment