Thursday, April 21, 2005

There's no translation for it

D just said he's "deprimé" (pronounced "day-preem-ay" with a French accent)which is apparently untranslatable, because the few words I threw at him - deflated, defeated, drained - didn't do the trick. I guess it's more like "totally without energy and feeling depressed about not having enough energy."

I know how he feels. I'm all daypreemay myself right now. But it could be worse. Apparently, the minimum wage in Cuba is being doubled May first from 100 pesos to 225 pesos - equal in US dollars from about $4.50 to about $9.40 a month. It would be worse to be daypreemay and trying to make ends meet in Cuba. Or plenty of other places in the world.

I'm reading Feed, and it's having a real effect on me. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes YA Science Fiction - a sub-genre, I guess. Highly. Like, way highly. It's all about death? And it's written in like first person, in this teenager's voice, you know? And it's like, totally affecting me so that I'm thinking da da da the world is heading in this direction and da da da we should all pay attention. On and on, as I read it. And I'm not really daypreemay from reading this book, because I get a charge out of a good book, even if it's a totally depressing good book. Or maybe because it's totally depressing.

Damn. I may never get out of therapy. Thank God for a good health plan and a reasonable co-pay.

No comments: