Friday, September 02, 2016

Throes

I am in the throes of working on my next packet for my MFA advisor. I would like to submerge myself completely in reading and writing only this weekend, nevermind sleep or preparing dinners (which I did do tonight, for a couple of hours) or walking the dog....






But I have two or three other items on my dance card - all of them pleasant enough - that will take up some of my time and therefore break me out of any unlikely but coveted creative spell.

I've just gone a long walk as the sun set and the stars, and what I think must have been a little drone, started to wink on. So it's given me a second wind. With the hopeful prospect of sleeping past 5am tomorrow, I will let this momentum carry me forward to work on the above-mentioned reading and writing.

Speaking of "second winds" - here's an excerpt from the wikipedia page on the subject, which I find interesting and slightly amusing:

The so-called Wake Maintenance Zone generally lasts 2 to 3 hours, during which one is less inclined to fall asleep. While potentially useful for completing urgent tasks, it may have a potentially unwanted side-effect of keeping one awake for several hours after the task has been completed. The hypervigilance and stimulation brought on by a second wind can cause fatigue, which, in the case of infants, can be literally painful. Thus, an infant may begin crying when sleep habits are disrupted.One can avoid "getting a second wind" by practicing proper sleep hygiene.

I guess tonight I am not practicing proper sleep hygiene.

No comments: