Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Day 3 of the Magic Kingdom

The girls are sitting on one of the hotel room's Queen beds, drawing pictures of one another and chatting cheerfully. D is dozing in a chair. I was sure that I would be too tired to post anything, and tonight might be the first night this year that I really resented the concept of writing daily in this blog.

But then I read my friends' blog entries (Julia, Suzanne, Clare), and I am re-inspired to stick to the plan and be a writer. They inspire me with their lives, their work, their spirits.

When I think about writing a poem, I think about observations I've made about the world around me. I think about writing about something simple and straightforward that actually means something so much more. Life's truths in a simple thing I've noticed at Disneyland, for example.

I wish I could post a real example of the example. But today, as yesterday and the day before, I was too busy living to write about living. I also must say that the company I keep makes a difference. If I were at Disneyland with Julia, Suzanne, or Clare, for example, I feel that we could sit at a table anywhere in the park and I could scrawl something clever or meaningful on a napkin and they would not only understand, they would support me. And I could share what I wrote later, and they'd get it. Not just the thought, but get the poem, too. An audience is very helpful for an artist.

I'm going to get offline and work on a poem now.

No comments: