Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Software troubleshooting

Last night a colleague made changes to the database that we use all day at work, and as a result, there were a number of confused users and a number of broken things that needed mending this morning. The changes were very helpful and a long time coming, but I spent nearly all my day (when I wasn't training the newest hire) trying to trouble-shoot the problems, document them, alert users, and then help the colleague fix the problems.

My last job was all about fixing problems and troubleshooting software, and I really miss those tasks. If I could have a positionthat was more analytical (but still had all the lovely perks of my current job), I'd take it. I think it's the critic in me and the detective in me and the co-dependent "make everything better" in me all combined.

Countdown to vacation: two days, and I'm now focusing on doing all the laundry so we have plenty of choices to use when packing light for the trip. The other things: like running, selling my car, organizing all my belongings, and cleaning the whole house, are already fading on my list of to-do's.

No comments: