Tuesday, February 15, 2005

A long day, nearly over

If I ignore the mountain of clean laundry in my bedroom one more day, I can go to bed now. I ran around a little bit like the proverbial headless chicken today, but everything worked out in the end. I'm still here, aren't I?

The day went something like this:
Worked 8 hours, made a quick stop at home for things I needed for the afternoon, got S at daycare, got R and her classmate Jacqui at school, took the 3 of them to Whole Foods for a snack, took Jacqui to her dentist appointment., left her there (her mother would be there to pick her up after the appointment), ran R to her riding lessons, started to go to Kaiser to pick up R's vitamin+fluoride prescription, came to my senses a mile down the road, went back to the lesson, hung out in the car with S while it rained a bitterly cold rain, tried to write on my laptop while she tried to distract me, helped R get the horse cleaned up after her lesson, dashed home, met the babysitter (Jacqui's older sister) and her mom waiting at my house, ran a bath for R & put dinner an organic cheese pizza in the oven & broccoli in the microwave to steam, printed my writer group colleague's new pages, made a CD of my bit of revision (but didn't have time to review or print), went to writer's group meeting, came back, took sleeping S and sleepy R in the car with me to drive the babysitter home, came back & got the girls (now both sleeping) tucked into bed, did the dishes, read more of my new book If the Buddha Got Stuck (thanks Tom), cleaned up a few things in the dining room and kitchen, blogged.

Will be back at work in less than 7 hours, training a new hire for the day on top of my usual daily duties.

The good news here is that while all the above is a lot, taken one moment at a time, it's not a big deal. (Of course, the other good news is that this kind of day is now very much the exception rather than the norm.) Also, part of the reason this week is so cramped is that next week, I'll be on vacation in southern California. Vacation. For a week. Vaaaaay-caaaaay-shun.

No comments: