Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Change is constant

I seem to be in an extended spring-cleaning overhaul of myself and my surroundings. Yesterday, I threw away some papers that I've felt certain I had to keep for the last four or twelve years. Papers that I'd held in my hands many times, and each time put in the same "I should file this somewhere" pile. Why? Why, I ask you? Why keep them?

I've kept them, I think, because they painted some picture I wanted to have about myself and who I am. Like, "I am a clever, prepared person because I've kept this article about sites to see in the Central Valley in case I ever take my family on an extended vacation in Fresno." Clever-schmever. What I am at core has nothing to do with whether I keep these things - things like articles about an artist I once knew but haven't spoken to in 14 years, or email from work that I found humorous (but still have at work in my thoroughly backed up email box), or a comic strip about stress that is still funny but totally not necessary to keep. I mean, other things in life since then have been funny (tonight's dinner conversation, for one), and I'm optimistic that I'll find something else humorous in the future and won't feel a Comic Void without that particular "Life in Hell" panel.

Yes, sir. I'm letting go of so much. Oh boy. I'm on my way. I mean, this was at least a dozen pieces of paper I just ruthlessly put in the recycle bag.

(However, in the interest of full disclosure I must say that I was still compelled to spend 10 minutes just now looking for a link online to the Groening Stress comic strip so I could document here, in my blog, the piece of paper I've thrown away. Somehow, I think I'm still a little unclear on the concept.)

I did, however, find this humorous link on "How to be a Sensitive Poet." It's uncanny how many of the categories apply to me. I think I'm going to write a poem about how despondent I feel about being a poet who only writes about how despondent she feels.

And it won't rhyme, either.

And I'm going to send it to either The New Yorker or Saltwater Fly Fishing Magazine - which ever will publish it first.

No comments: