Sunday, August 28, 2005

Indulgence

Happy Birthday to Me. :)

What a day of being spoiled! Actually, it started yesterday with the trip to Mendocino County and checking in to the Inn, where a lovely surprise present from a friend was waiting for me in my room. (Thanks, friend!!) We had dinner out, and woke up to fog and the Pacific - so kind and gentle in comparison to what is about to hit Louisiana.

After taking in a little of the beach near the wharf, we enjoyed a tour of the lighthouse, followed by a relaxed ride home along scenic Hwy. 1. (Am I sounding like a travelogue yet?) Then there were presents waiting for me when I got home, including a digital camera from Mom (look out! I'm part of the modern age, now!) and books and hugs and kisses from the kids. We all had a delicious sushi dinner out and chocolate cake for dessert. I tell you what. Such decadence.

Tomorrow it's back to reality - a full work week, and Mom goes home.

But it could be worse. I'm really feeling compassion for the residents of New Orleans right now. Two weeks from today, I was scheduled to fly there for an HP conference. Who knows whether that will still happen, and whether there will be anything left to see when we get there. Maybe we'll just become part of the cleanup operation.

We don't have TV, of course, but I'm reading how people are boarding up their homes and shops, while those same homes and shops may end up under 20 feet of water. And there's nothing that can be done to stop it. It's a little like the inevitable flu pandemic that will come, for which we are not prepared.

Aren't I cheerful for a birthday girl? I guess you could blame it on me crashing from the chocolate cake...

No comments: