Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Early post

It's strange to be writing before 8pm, but I really feel like it's after midnight because I've had about 5 hours sleep 2 or 3 nights in a row. I'll be doing my contemplative reading/meditation/trying-not-to-fall-asleep time next, so best to blog now.

Yesterday, I finished reading The Radioactive Boy Scout. Living with an Eagle Scout who himself as a teenager had a fascination with less-than-safe chemical reactions, and who is to this day quite the scientific autodidact,I found the book fascinating.

The Amazon reviewers all talk about it being a quick read. That may explain why I finished it! In my old age and with my current lifestyle, I have become quite a slow and sporadic reader. Gone are the days when I could bury myself in a good book for hours on end. I seem to have passed that torch on to R., and D. never dropped his version of the same flame.

For her part, S. is just starting to pretend to read along with me and guess at what words are based on the letters she knows and on context, but because she attends a Waldorf-inspired school, she'll have another full year of Kindergarten before she officially starts to learn to read. I'm sure by then, she and I will be reading at home. I wonder if she'll be the bookworm the rest of us are (or in my case, were). If so, I envision really truly lovely evenings in the livingroom where we're all curled up with our respective good books. That, my friends, is my idea of quality family time as much as a pile-on-the-big-bed tickle session is. Better than Disneyland, better than all going to the movies together, better than Christmas.

No comments: