Friday, March 04, 2005

Population Growth

Julia is due to have her baby within a week (or so). She has blogged about people being surprised that the baby is officially due in a few days and yet she's still up and about. Imagine that! (They must not know her that well.)

I remember that with S (who was 2 weeks late and would have stayed longer if we hadn't made her come out and meet her fans), I was afraid to go outside after the due date only because my neighbors would express their impatience in accusatory tones. "Where is that baby?" they'd say, as though I were intentionally keeping her for myself. I worked until several days *after* my due date, and still felt fine. Yes, I seem to have the body type and high-pain-threshold that helps with childbearing. I'd have had a half-dozen children if it had been practical and if it weren't for my feelings that what we as American consume in the way of natural resources, energy, etc. makes it particularly crazy to have a huge population growth. Oh. And there is also the fact that D has strongly expressed that no, thank you, we do not need another child. He's only slightly less adamant about it than he is about us not getting a cat, but the chances for either are slim.

That's okay. The two children we have are so wonderful, we might as well quit while we're ahead.

No comments: