Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Sleepiness

I just took the Daytime Sleepiness Test at the Sleep Foundation's site. According to the standard Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS), I should be seen by an expert. The site says if your score is over 10, you should "consider discussing these results with your physician or other health care provider." My score was 15.

So what does this mean? This means I either have a sleep disorder, or I am chronically sleep deprived.

Don't everyone fall over backwards, now.

Although I do (as far as I can tell) spend a huge percentage of the night dreaming, and therefore probably am in a less deep sleep than I should be, I think the real problem is the 5-6 hours of sleep I get from Sunday-Thursday night.

What does this mean?

Well, it means that to find out whether the problem is too little sleep or something else like sleep apnea (which I do have something of a history with), I'm going to rule out the former by seriously trying to get 8hrs a night. This, sadly, means going to bed at 8:30 and being asleep before 9pm. The kids may end up tucking me in! But it will be interesting to see how much more awake & alert it makes me!

No comments: