Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Experiment results

Now that Lent is over, I'm looking at how well I stuck to my 30 minutes of meditation, getting rid of one thing per day & (later) sleeping 8 hours a night.

Not terribly well.

However. I did meditate more than I had been, and I devoted at least *some* of every day to contemplative thought or spiritual reading. The habit has been started, and it's more natural to think of meditation as a part of everyday life. I did get rid of tons of stuff. Because I put aside so much for the charter school rummage sale (clothes, books, etc.), it probably averaged out to more than 40 things a day. But it was not one thing a day. I also, unfortunately, gave up running. Not something I expected to do. But a good test, all the same. I've learned that although my goal is to become more and more fit and to lose all the excess fat I'm carrying around, I now know that I can go 3 weeks without really running or even walking briskly and it doesn't mean that 3 years of slow and gradual work is completely gone. It shouldn't take much to get back on track physically. But the lack of running has affected my emotional state. If I don't run tomorrow, even a little, I'll go insane.

The sleeping 8 hours a night, which I only stopped doing 3 nights ago, was helpful. I feel it especially now that I've had too little for 3 nights. I'll try to make 7 consecutive hours my minimum requirement. I wish the same sometime soon to those of you nursing newborns all night or lying awake working on wedding details, or those of you who just plain suffer from insomnia.

Whispers of poetry nipping at my heels in the last 24 hours. Maybe something will come of it soon.

No comments: