Our livingroom is in the process of being transformed. It was all so easy! I suggested we needed new paint. D agreed. I went to OSH early this morning and brought home a couple of quarts to try out. Neither color was right (in fact, one was very not right), but after I'd run around handling the Food for Families delivery and transportation for ballet class and riding lessons, all four of us went together to the hardware store & D & I picked the colors that would be right.
And voila!
With D doing 98% of the work (because my "liquid impaired" problem applies to paint too), the room has suddenly gone from drab and dirty off-off-white to a rich "roasted asparagus" rolled over "tea green" on one wall and vellum on another, with a nice pale neutral color replacing the sickly salmon that had been on the beams in the room.
Actually, "we" have a lot more to do with the velum and beams, but the green is done. It looks better than it sounds, and the gold-framed prints we'd had on the wall are great against the deeper color.
I am so grateful to have a husband who is willing and able to do this. And I'm glad I'm strong-willed (let's not say "stubborn") and comfortable enough here to insist that we make the change.
I lived in 11 houses the first 15 years of my life, and then in another 3 rental apartments before I was 20. This could have taught me to adapt quickly, to develop the skill of making a place my own in no time at all. I know someone who unpacks her suitcase to put clothes in the drawers in a hotel room even if staying there only one night. She learned from a life of travel that impermanence doesn't mean one can't be civilized.
But instead of teaching me to set up camp under even the worst circumstances, moving so much had the more predictable effect of causing me to avoid investing much emotion or self into the room or building around me. Why bother? Why concentrate on making a place perfect when whatever one did was going to last such a brief period of time? Or when, as a renter, I didn't have permission to paint the walls or nail holes in them for pictures anyway?
It has taken living here for nearly 3 times longer than I've lived in any other single home for me to start to feel safely settled in. But, as I'm discovering about so many things, better late than never.
No comments:
Post a Comment