Friday, May 20, 2005

Marathon Day

Well, alrighty. The banana nut loaves have just been put in the oven. That sounds like a cryptic top-secret code phrase, doesn't it? I mean, especially this late at night, when one has been up for about, give or take, three years.

"The banana nut breads loaves are in the oven."
"Roger that. We have confirmation of a Bake Sale at oh-seven-hundred, sir."
"Over. I want a positive read on the Kids Sleeping before we commence with Blog exercise."
"Affirmative, sir."

*Sigh*. I don't write that kind of thing as well as Kate Bachus, but this late at night, my judgment is screwy enough that I try, anyway.


Before the baking of the loaves, there was the trip to the grocery store at 10:30pm for vanilla extract. And let me just say that if we all thought gasoline prices were bad, we should take a look at how truly impoverished we would be if our tanks required vanilla extract to run. Even the cashier did a sharp intake of breath when she rang up the bottle. Very nice.

Before the vanilla extract trip, there was the performance of Coppelia that S's dance school put on. I think she's about 10 years from being able to dance in a show like that. See this link for the story, if you'd like. It's a little twisted, but they did an innocent-enough production.

Before the dance show was gymnastics, before/during that, two trips to the Rummage Sale site to help set up, a quick trip home, a trip to Hospice to drop of a check from the Human Race, picking up the girls from school and a playdate, and a full and busy day at work. For the first time I can remember in a long time, I had no real "meal" at all today - just snacks grabbed here and there, mostly junky stuff.

I am not complaining. I am recording. I'd like to just write: "had a busy day," but if I ever look back and read this blog entry years from now, I'll be thinking, "What? Busy doing what? Where are the details? Where is the reflection and writerly focus? What really happened? Was there vanilla extract involved?"

Thus I am forced to expand the basic "busy day" plot.

No comments: