Thursday, May 05, 2005

Pre-weekend mode

Let's just call this the beginning of the weekend. There's that one day of work to get through, but hey! that's just one day.

We do Superslow weight training twice a week at work. It's one of the biggest perks there is at the company, one of the reasons *not* to quit. The concept is that you use specially-calibrated machines to move the weights really slowly. It's not the number of reps that counts so much as spending 2 minutes on each machine doing exaggeratedly slow reps, 10 seconds in each direction. That way, within 20 minutes, you've had quite a workout. Sometimes my arms and legs are shaking pretty significantly by the time I wobble back to my desk after a session. My coworker once made fun of me, when just back from the gym, because my triceps and biceps were quivering when I reached out to dial the phone.

I usually don't want to do these workouts. It helps that our 2 trainers are awesome women and fun to spend time with and are, besides that, really good coaches. But still, it's a workout, not a half-hour of lying on a couch. And the weights are, well, heavy.

But the results of the training are great, and as another coworker pointed out once about each machine: "Hey. It's only 2 minutes. I can do just about anything if it's only for 2 minutes."

I may have already told this story. But my real point, now, is this: tomorrow is only 1 workday before the weekend. I can survive 1 workday.

And to Josh: we'll have to decline your generous offer of less-than-domesticated rats. But gee, thanks for asking.

(Is this what you mean by snarkiness, Julia?)

No comments: