I was deeply happy for a good long stretch of time today. It made me realize that I only skip over the surface of happiness like a well-thrown stone most of the time. Real contentment, the sense that all is, in fact, right with the world, is a little too rare these days.
When did that change? I don't know. But I do know that it helped greatly to be home for most of the day - after taking R to riding lessons at 8:15. And it helped even more that D did the grocery shopping, made lunch, and did the dishes. His mother and stepdad were here, and we had a good time, considering. There were only a couple of tense moments - once when Larry started to talk about how the streets in Iraq were literally running with blood & I cut him off because the kids were within earshot; and again, after lunch, when the kids weren't around and he told the story of how he'd threatened a registered sex offender who works as a janitor in the same large hospital building where he (Larry) is working as a painter. The conversation got a little too graphic and I interrupted with a story about my dad (always a good conversation stopper) and he dropped what he'd been saying.
In spite of that, though, I felt like I had a good stretch of space to catch up on emails, organize papers, do laundry and tidy, while the kids entertained themselves. That kind of time is just the ticket to allow me to feel caught up so I can in turn settle down and breathe deeply, so I can rest my feet in peaceful waters.
Just finished reading Eve Green by a novelist 10 years younger than me. The nerve. I'd picked it up at random (I kid you not), so of course, it "randomly" takes place in Wales. It never stops in my life, apparently; that connection to Wales is always there in one form or another.
Now I'm reading Penguins & Golden Calves by Madeleine L'Engle. Essays on icons and idols, writing about America and Antarctica, and about her life with her husband and her life after his death. It's a good read. It's good for me to stay connected with this author, who is so much a Christian and yet still so able to allow God to live somewhere bigger than the box some Christians put him in.
No comments:
Post a Comment