Monday, May 02, 2005

Somewhere in the middle of 8 hrs sleep

I fell asleep at 9 when I put the girls to bed, and now I'm doing this habitual "getting up only to post at around 11pm" thing.

What to say about today? Work was busy, as usual, so the day flew by there. After school and before the girls and I had dinner and a trip to the pet store, I was watching 6 kids: my 2, the next-door neighbor, the girl from across the street (who now knocks on our door 3 times an afternoon if we're not out front begging us to come out), and the siblings who had come over to play with my 2 kids to begin with.

It's crazy & impossible not to be completely In The Moment when in charge of that many children. One must abandon the thought of doing anything other than paying attention to the Present.

It is , however, tricky paying attention to the Present in multiple locations.

Julia was asking me to let her play inside with the rat at the same instant that Richie fell off the bike he was borrowing, and while I was distracted by that, S and Kira disappeared from Kira's driveway, where I'd had an eye on them. I saw from afar that Richie was fine (he got up and wasn't crying or limping), I put off Julia's request, and took her with me to find the other 2 five-year-olds. It wasn't too hard to guess where they'd gone because they'd just finished asking if they could go play at Kira's house, and I'd just finished saying, "No," because her mother was gone and there was no one there to watch them.

Sure enough, the front door to Kira's house was unlocked. I didn't feel comfortable going in while the other kids were in the street on bikes - I needed to watch them, too - so I called into the house from the front door for the girls to come out. It took a few tries, and then they finally emerged from a back bedroom. Before they were even close to me, Kira announced, "We're just eating crackers."

Right. That's always convincing.

"Really?" I asked. "You're not maybe eating candy?" (Kira's mother had told me a couple of days ago that they'd just found and raided a hidden stash.)

Oh, no, they weren't eating candy. They were busily chewing on crackers. Apparently the kind of Saltines that coincidently crunch just like hard candy crunches when you bite down on it in a quick the-parent-is-watching-me panic.

I was amazed at how fast they'd thought up a lie and how long they insisted on sticking to it. I asked a couple more times if it wasn't maybe, perhaps, for example, some candy they were eating. I even said boy, I bet it sure would be tempting to find and eat candy in a house when your mom and dad weren't there. I asked to see what they had in their mouths and their eyes got wide and a little wild and they clamped their jaws shut and furiously shook their heads, crunching and swallowing manically.

Meanwhile, Richie had fallen again, or maybe was finally really reacting to having fallen the first time, and he was lying in another neighbor's driveway, shaking his hand and groaning theatrically. And Julia was asking politely but plaintively if her dad was coming soon to pick her up.

Oh yeah, I was living in the moment then. It was so very Zen and peaceful.

I finally had to pull out the, "Gee, I guess we can't let you two play together if you tell stories to adults like this when you do," and that was enough to elicit the confessions. Not that they shouted out, "It's candy! It's candy!" They just nodded and when I finally put the question to them one more time.

I said, "Thank you for telling the truth," without adding, "finally."

I herded the children (except the girl-from-across-the-street) inside.

I got out the rat for Julia.

I got out more paper and pens for the Candy Thieves of Clairmont Court.

I cleaned up Richie's only-slightly torn palm.

I spent some time focusing on the "here and now" instead of the "here-and-there and now."



Actually, it was a good afternoon.

No comments: